How are you all liking my title up there??
It was my sneaky attempt at trying to do a spending ban without saying the words as they set my alarm bells ringing…
My last attempt at a ban ended with me whacking the credit card out in Cosmetics Company Outlet and purchasing a range of Origins, Ojon, Smashbox and Mac products in a beauty product frenzy.
I have since not stopped for breath and have bought a vast array of products including Urban Decay palettes, Laura Mercier products, Nail varnishes, Clothes, brushes, Mac palettes and let’s not forget shoes and bags.
In truth, I need to stop my spending and start trying to pay off my credit card bill (with this month’s pay!) and save to pay off my overdraft.
I know some of you will probably be a little horrified that at 25 I’m still in my overdraft, living at home, using a credit card etc etc.
Bear with me here. I recently finished a Masters (in December) and have only just started having monthly pay cheques again so the first few were a bit of a novelty and helped pay for Christmas…..basically I blew them.
But that’s ok. Now I need to get my ass into gear and pay off the overdraft that helped me live for 2 years of my course which will probably take me some time. I’ve paid a quarter off so far but I can do better than this.
Primarily I will need to stop using my credit card. This has already gone to my mum for fear of another frenzy working its way into my life.
I officially stopped spending last Monday (15th) but am trying not to think about it and so haven’t mentioned it yet.
My plan was to go cold turkey for a month without any spending and then allow myself to buy things after that on a necessary basis.
This will not include any form of beauty products however, they are blanket banned for the immediate future due to the severe lack of space in my bedroom.
I might take pictures for an update of the Beauty Rehab posts but lets just put it this way, 4 drawers, a cupboard, half a wardrobe and 2 suitcases of products later and there ain’t much room to spare let me tell you!
So the rules of the ban:
1) No spending for a month
2) After the month is up I can buy clothing and similar items but absolutely no products
3) No beauty products AT ALL
4) Outings including food and drink do not count as otherwise I’d be quite a sad little hermit (I rarely go out so this will not be an issue for overspending)
5) If there comes a time when my resolves is low, it’s ok for me to spend my hard earned Debenhams and Boots points, but no more than the amount on each card. This will also incur some sort of penalty, another month maybe? Eeeeek.
With that in mind I also bring you my first wishlist:
1) Mac eyeshadows to bulk out my new palette (post soon!) including Cranberry and some nudes
2) Antipodes Manuka Face Mask – so many rave reviews, so annoyed I didn’t get this before the ban
3) Some other form of trainer – Converse or Supras or Nikes, I want you, I need you.
We will see how this grows and changes over the next few weeks.
How did your spenidng bans go? Do you have any tips or hints for helping me not spend for a month?
I think I can do it….it’s just bargains that I can’t resist!